Lynn and Terrance Potts Legacy Scholarship
THIS SCHOLARSHIP WILL BE OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS IN JANUARY OF 2023.
The parents of Samantha Nicole and Sydney Rebecca Potts created this scholarship. Samantha and Sydney both graduated from Bartlesville High School and pursued engineering degrees at the University of Oklahoma. Samantha excelled at OU graduating with Special Distinction, Bachelor of Science in mechanical Engineering, and is currently employed with ConocoPhillips in Houston. Sydney is currently excelling at OU pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering and has completed several internships.
Both daughters earned significant merit-based scholarships which assisted with more than 90% of the university’s bursar tuition and fees costs. Due to their receipt of merit-based scholarships, this has allowed for the creation of this “pay it forward” scholarship for future female BHS graduates pursuing engineering. This scholarship is reserved for Bartlesville High School students because both daughters benefited significantly through BHS offerings such as STEM courses, AP courses and access to concurrent college courses as these courses prepared them for the rigors of engineering.
The merit-based scholarship will be awarded to a female Bartlesville High School student majoring in engineering.
Entries will be reviewed and selected by the BCF Scholarship Committee with input from the Potts family, including Samantha and Sydney. Recipients will be selected based on adherence to prescribed criteria, strength of essay, and strong character as demonstrated through letters of recommendation. The is not a financial needs-based scholarship, so please do not submit a FAFSA or other financial data. This scholarship is merit-based.
Up to $1,000, payable to the university or college on behalf of the recipient, following proof of enrollment.
- Bartlesville High School student in good standing and qualifying for graduation
- Planning to attend a four-year college/university
- Cumulative high school grade point average of 3.5 or higher
- Student pursuing degree in engineering or STEM related field
- Strong consideration given to students active in extra-curricular activities which demonstrate leadership as well as students who have demonstrated work history
- Two letters of recommendation
- Typed personal essay addressing the topic “Why I want to pursue engineering or STEM field.” Essay must be between 500-1000 words
- Typed brief personal biography 200-500 words
- Current photo (optional)
Letters of Recommendation:
- Please submit two letters of recommendation with your application. Letters must be submitted in accordance to the BCF letters of recommendation requirements that can be found on the Scholarship Home Page
- Recommender should provide background around things such as character, demonstrated interest in engineering, outside activities (volunteering, community involvement, sports, clubs), work history and why you would be a good fit for this scholarship
- One letter must be from a faculty member of the applicant’s school
- The second letter can be from any unrelated community member, teacher, mentor, etc. of the student’s choice